After Graduation

BSW and MSW Licensing

Social work is a licensed profession in the states of Kansas and Missouri. In Kansas, the agency charged with regulating social work licensure is the Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (BSRB). In the state of Missouri, it is Division of Professional Registration – State Committee for Social Workers. For more information, please contact the boards directly: BSRB in Kansas at 785-296-3240 and the State Committee for Social Workers in Missouri at 573-751-0885. BSW and MSW students who are in their last semester of degree requirements may start the process of applying for the appropriate level of licensure.

After completion of the KU Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work, you will be prepared to take the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) examination, which is the exam required for Kansas licensure. Bachelor's graduates will be eligible to take the LBSW level exam upon completion of the BSW, and master’s graduates will be eligible to take the LMSW level exam upon completion of the MSW. It is required that you complete 3000 hours of clinical social work experience over a minimum of 24 months before you are able to sit for the Specialist Clinical Social Work license (LSCSW) in Kansas.

Kansas State Licensing:

  • BSW and MSW graduates may sit for their LMSW exam 4 months prior to graduation (degree conferring) date, not ceremony attendance. Paperwork for licensing in the state of Kansas may be found on the BSRB website.
  • In the Verification of Academic Requirements section of the form, please write “SEE KU LIST” – Once you file your Application for Graduation, your name is sent to the BSRB on a monthly bases. Students who have not filed an AFG will not have their names added to the list for licensing verification
  • We expedite conferring BSW and MSW degrees for licensing purposes:

Fall Licensure Prep Workshop will be offered and when information is available it will be listed here and on the School's calendar.

Other States

Applicants who intend to obtain their license in another state should understand that each state has its own licensing board and set of licensing requirements. It is best to consult with your state’s regulatory board to learn what licenses are available in your area and acquaint yourself with their requirements.

For additional assistance, contact our Field Education Office at  

KU MSW Licensing Exam Pass Rates

of our graduates passed the LMSW licensing exam the first time, compared to 74% nationally (2018-2021)
of our graduates passed the LSCSW licensing exam the first time, compared to 75% nationally (2018-2021)

Licensing Prep Events

social worker working with children

Career Services

The University Career Center (UCC) offers a wide range of quality services designed to support and challenge students at all points on the career development and implementation path, including numerous opportunities to connect with leading employers from around the country and the world.

University Career Center
Alum Jennifer Ananda


Our degree programs at all levels are consistently rated as excellent by experts and alumni, and, especially, by those who employ our graduates. Whether they enter the arena of professional social work practice or take on social work researcher/educator, our graduates report that they are well equipped to succeed.

Alumni Spotlights