student reading book in bunk bed and roommates conversing in living room area in residence hall

How to Apply: BSW Program

Students are directly admitted to the School of Social Welfare as new freshmen and transfer students at the University of Kansas.

Apply to KU

Visit the Office of Admissions for information about admission to KU. Visit the Office of International Admissions for information about international admissions.

Current KU students changing from another major to Social Welfare should complete a Change of School form located on the KU Office of the University Registrar webpage and must meet the advancement requirements, which are outlined below.

How to advance in the program - Advancement Review Requirements

  • 54 hours of General Education requirements including:
    • Math 101 or LA&S 108
    • English 101
    • English 102
  • Cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • Earned grade of B or higher or CR in SW 220 (a B- is not accepted)
  • One reference form from a professor, work supervisor, volunteer supervisor or other professional colleague who are familiar with your work and/or know your potential as a social worker. Reference information will be emailed to the individual for completion.
  • Submitted electronic copy of the BSW Student Standards and Advancement Policies & ProceduresNASW Code of Ethics, and the KU Code of Student Rights & Responsibilities.

If all of the above criteria are met, students are successfully advanced into 500 level coursework.

They have until one week prior to classes beginning in the fall semester to complete required courses.

Should a student’s cumulative GPA be below a 2.0, the student may advance and will be on probation for the fall semester. If at the end of the fall semester the cumulative GPA is not at or above a 2.0, the student will be dismissed from the BSW Program.

Students in lawn at Edwards Campus
Student in BSW class in Blake Hall

Resources for Current Students

Information and student support
Find program guides, student support services and more within the School.
Current Student Resources

Study Social Work at KU

KU's School of Social Welfare offers social work degree programs at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels: BSW, MSW, DSW and PhD. Learn more.