How to Apply?
Students are directly admitted to the School of Social Welfare as new freshmen and transfer students. Visit the Office of Admissions for information about admission to KU. Visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for information about international admissions.
Current KU students changing from another major to Social Welfare should complete a Change of School form and must meet the advancement requirements.
School of Social Welfare Advancement Requirements
For students to advance into 500 and 600 level Social Welfare coursework, they must complete the B.S.W. Advancement Review by June 15 preceding the the fall semester in which they intend to begin 500 level classes. The Advancement Review includes the following:
- Completion of a personal essay answering three specific questions
- Three letters of reference; one from a faculty member or instructor; one from a work or volunteer supervisor; one from any one of the previously listed. Personal or character references are not acceptable
- Professional resume
- Documented (50) hours of volunteer or paid work in a social service setting*
- Earned grade of B or higher in SW 220
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50
- Completion of ENGL 101, ENGL 102, Math 101, SW 220, and at least (36) hours of General Education coursework
- Submitted signed electronic copy of School of Social Welfare Technical Standards, School of Social Welfare's Student Advancement Policy and NASW Code of Ethics. If you have questions about any of these, please contact the BSW Program Director at 785-864-4720.
*The (20) volunteer hours required for SW 220 will count towards the total (50) volunteer hours. In addition, any volunteer hours in social service agencies completed through experiential learning courses (Service Learning Certificate courses or Alternative Break experiences) at KU or other institutions of higher learning will count as well. Social service agencies are defined as agencies that serve high risk human populations.