B.S.W. and M.S.W. Licensing Information
Social work is a licensed profession in the states of Kansas and Missouri. In Kansas, the agency charged with regulating social work licensure is the Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (BSRB). In the state of Missouri, it is Division of Professional Registration – State Committee for Social Workers. For more information, please contact the boards directly: BSRB in Kansas at 785-296-3240 and the State Committee for Social Workers in Missouri at 573-751-0885. BSW and MSW students who are in their last semester of degree requirements may start the process of applying for the appropriate level of licensure.
Kansas State Licensing:
- MSW graduates may sit for their LMSW exam 4 months prior to graduation (degree conferring) date, not ceremony attendance. Paperwork for licensing in the state of Kansas may be found on the BSRB web site.
- In the Verification of Academic Requirements section of the form, please write “SEE KU LIST” – Once you file your Application for Graduation, your name is sent to the BSRB on a monthly bases. Students who have not filed an AFG will not have their names added to the list for licensing verification
- We expedite conferring MSW degrees for licensing purposes:
- Spring 2020 MSW degrees will be conferred by June 1st – order your degree conferring transcript here (make sure to check the “Hold for Degree” option)
- Summer 2020 MSW degrees will be conferred by August 3rd - order your degree conferring transcript here (make sure to check the “Hold for Degree” option)
Every year the School provides a social work licensure info session for upcoming graduates.
(Updated) Spring 2020 Licensure Prep Workshops:
The Social Work Licensure Workshops are moved to a virtual format. Follow the zoom meeting link to log into the meeting. The workshop will also be recorded and available to view by Wednesday, April 1 on our website. This virtual workshop [via Zoom] is designed for current BSW and MSW students who are preparing for the social work licensure exam. Participants will review the importance of social work licensure and the requirements in Kansas and Missouri, then discuss strategies for test preparation by reviewing study tools available through various sources, including practice exam questions. By the end of the sessions, participants will have a plan for future study that will include content, study guides, motivational factors and other supports needed to go in into the exam best prepared for success.
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 9:30 AM-11:30 AM (Formally on Edwards campus)
Join Zoom Meeting - https://kansas.zoom.us/j/438586550
Meeting ID: 438 586 550
Saturday, March 21, 2020 10:00 AM-12:00 PM (Formall on Fort Hays campus)
Join Zoom Meeting - https://kansas.zoom.us/j/522347224
Meeting ID: 522 347 224
Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:00 AM-12:00 PM (Formally on Lawrence campus)
Join Zoom Meeting - https://kansas.zoom.us/j/840344726
Meeting ID: 840 344 726
Each year hundreds of graduates of B.S.W. and M.S.W. programs around the country take one of several National Licensure Exams. Over the last 10 years, our students have done remarkably well in exceeding the national pass rates. In other words, the percentage of KU graduates who pass the exam is well above the percentage of all those who take the exam around the country. The chart below shows the latest (2017) pass rates for KU graduates compared with those who took the same exam NATIONALLY.
The KU School of Social Welfare faculty and Staff are committed to a quality education for students who will graduate and go on to become competent and compassionate social workers. The licensure exam is just one concrete measure of how well we do.