How to Apply?
Students are directly admitted to the School of Social Welfare as new freshmen and transfer students. Visit the Office of Admissions for information about admission to KU. Visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for information about international admissions.
Current KU students changing from another major to Social Welfare should complete a Change of School form and must meet the advancement requirements.
Given the extenuating circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic, the following BSW Advancement Review is in place for Fall 2021.
For BSW students to advance in the Program and into 500 level coursework they must complete the following:
- 54 hours of General Education requirements including:
- Math 101 (College Algebra) or LA&S 108 (Personal Numeracy)
- English 101 (Composition)
- English 102 (Critical Reading and Writing)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Earned grade of B or higher or CR in SW 220 (Intro to Social Work)
- One letter of reference from a faculty member or instructor or work or volunteer supervisor. Personal or character references are not accepted.
- Submitted electronic copy of the BSW Student Standards and Advancement Policies & Procedures, NASW Code of Ethics, and the KU Code of Student Rights & Responsibilities.
If the above criteria are met, students are successfully advanced into 500 level coursework.
Students have until July 31, 2021, to complete required courses and/or provide (1) letter of recommendation. Should advancement criteria not be met by the deadline, students will be administratively dropped from 500 level Social Work classes.
Should a student’s cumulative GPA be below a 2.5 and between 2.25 and 2.49, the student may advance and will be on probation for the fall semester. If at the end of the fall semester the cumulative GPA is not at or above a 2.5, the student will be dismissed from the BSW Program.