How to Apply?
Students are directly admitted to the School of Social Welfare as new freshmen and transfer students. Visit the Office of Admissions for information about admission to KU. Visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for information about international admissions.
Current KU students changing from another major to Social Welfare should complete a Change of School form and must meet the advancement requirements.
School of Social Welfare Advancement Review
For BSW students to advance in the Program and into 500 level coursework they must complete the following:
- 54 hours of General Education requirements including:
- Math 101 or LA&S 108
- English 101
- English 102
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Earned grade of B or higher in SW 220 (a B- is not accepted)
- Documented (20) hours of volunteer or paid work experience in a social service setting
- Three letters of reference:
- One from a faculty member or instructor
- One from a work or volunteer supervisor
- One from any one of the previously mentioned
- Personal or character references are not accepted
- Submitted electronic copy of the BSW Student Standards and Advancement Policies & Procedures, NASW Code of Ethics, and the KU Code of Student Rights & Responsibilities.
If all of the above criteria are met, students are successfully advanced into 500 level coursework.
Should a student not meet all of the above criteria, they have until one week prior to classes beginning in the fall semester to complete required courses and/or documented service hours.
Should a student’s cumulative GPA be below a 2.5 and between 2.25 and 2.49, the student may advance and will be on probation for the fall semester. If at the end of the fall semester the cumulative GPA is not at or above a 2.5, the student will be dismissed from the BSW Program.